Thursday, March 13, 2008

Column Favorites (from Charlotte Parent)

Jamming with the Oldies

I hate Raffi. I admit it. I really cannot handle the shrill voices of any children’s music. Hearing Hot Potato by the Wiggles makes me want to put ear plugs in. Anything by Barney is a big problem for me. I lived in constant fear that when I had kids, they would make me listen to these scary tunes in my car.

I think this process was worsened by the fact that I was a nanny for over ten years before I had my own children. That’s enough Blues Clues theme songs and Laurie Berkner for anyone. Unfortunately for my little ones, by the time they appeared I was just completely burnt out. Listening to their own music in my car was never an option I even let on that they had..

When I was growing up, I hated listening to the stereo in my parent’s car. My dad was always rocking out to the Eagles, Neil Diamond or some seventies band. We were always forced to listen to a light rock station when I wanted to be listening to Michael Jackson or any of the music of my generation. When I would request (whine) to hear a different station, my dad always answered the same way. “When you get a car of your own, you can listen to any station you would like.”

And as is the case in almost every lesson that our parents teach, the same it true today. I completely understand how my dad must have felt as he whistled his favorite songs while driving in the car because once I had kids; I lived in fear that somehow a Barney cd would sneak its way into my beloved player. Like my dad, I tried early on to introduce the kids to the music that I love. Ryan was listening to Harry Connick Jr. and Dave Matthews. I was laying the groundwork for his future musical appreciation.

Of course, I know that with the invention of the ipod and minivans with DVD players and headphone jacks, arguments over music are a thing of the past. If the boys don’t want to rock out to the Red Hot Chili Peppers when they are in the car with their dad, they can plug in their little devices and hear the music they love.

As much peace as that will bring in the car to all involved, it makes me a little sad too. I learned a lot during long car rides on vacations or quick trips to Grandma’s house. I learned to love music. Even to this day, I can sing you almost any song from 1970 to present day music. On my ipod, Neil Diamond holds a place of honor along with the Eagles and plenty of music that I considered to be my dad’s. If I had an ipod back then, I never would have learned to love different kinds of music.

These days, while driving the kids to and fro and listening to my music, Ryan often wants to watch a movie or hear anything but what we are listening to. I find myself answering him the same way that my dad answered me. He might not appreciate it now, but some day when he’s in high school and he comes down in Matt’s old Chili Peppers shirt, I am going to have a big smile on my face.

No comments: