Thursday, March 13, 2008

Column Favorites (from Charlotte Parent)

Just Five More Minutes



An annoying sound interrupts my great dream,

Where I am mid-cuddle with Dr. McSteam.

I reach out a hand to do major harm,

To the overused snooze button on my alarm.

I close my eyes and attempt more sleep,

But it is in vain, knowing the schedule I keep.

I get out of bed and prepare to face the scale,

This diet and exercise regime has become stale.

Still the same weight, nothing gained, nothing lost,

I mutter to myself about it being worth the cost.

I pull on my gym clothes and tie up my shoes,

I search around for the hair tie I always lose.

To Ryan's room I make my sleepy way,

To get him up to greet this brand new day.

His response, no surprise, is to turn over in bed,

I tickle his sides and ruffle the hair on his head.

Off to his closet to pick out the day's clothes,

Hoping Mr. Picky won't give me any "no's!"

In Josh's room, his smiling face I meet,

But he has pulled his socks off and has freezing feet.

Time to put his clothes on and the struggle ensues,

If he is this tough now, I really fear his twos!

It is time for breakfast and we all head downstairs,

With me adjusting clothes and patting down hairs.

Ryan goes on the perfect cereal hunt,

Josh doesn't want cheerios, it is milk that he wants.

I start packing Ryan's lunch and cannot forget,

It is show and tell day, so the class snack I get.

I load up the car with return bags and notes,

I wiggle the kiddos into their coats.

Once in the car, Ryan's long list of questions start,

Where do cows come from? Why do we have hearts?

I answer each one the best way I can,

When these get more complicated, I better have a plan.

We pull into the car pool line at his school,

A quick kiss for Mommy because he’s cool..

Josh and I head over to Starbucks for java,

Why must the temp of their lattes be "lava"?

I make some phone calls when we take off;

The fence company, the Dr. about Ryan's cough.

We head to a store, the dry cleaner and bank,

The car needs to be washed and needs a full tank.

Then over to the post office, a package to send,

A new little baby was just born to our friends.

Then to the gym, Josh and I make our way,

A tray full of goldfish ensure he'll have little to say.

All sweaty now, we are off to pick up Ryan,

Who's all jazzed from school and being tryin'!

Then we face what must be my least favorite chore.

Taking both kids to the grocery store!

At home once more I get Josh his lunch,

As he picks through what pieces to toss or to munch.

A load of laundry awaits me in the dryer,

I separate mail and bills and throw away fliers.

Finally, it is time for the best part of the day,

They are ready for naps and have little to say..

With both kids in bed, I head right back down,

I haven't eaten during my day all over the town.

Lunch is gobbled up in bites, here and there,

While cleaning up little shoes left everywhere.

The floor needs mopping, the laundry is ready,

The counters need wiping, wait-is that dried spaghetti?!?

By the time I make it up for my shower,

I can't believe they have been asleep for an hour!

No time to waste, I know we have to go,

We have a play date today, wouldn't you know!

My phone rings and I will it to end,

But luckily the caller ID shows my good friend.

She wants to know if we can do Saturday dinner,

We spend 20 minutes laughing about getting thinner.

I grab Ryan and Josh and get them a snack,

Load them into the car and then have to head back.

In my haste, I forgot my friend's plate,

I really wonder if my brain is just there to decorate.

Play date is such fun, the kids have a ball,

On the way home, I am still making calls.

Then, with horror, I realize I have nothing for dinner,

I rack my brain to come up with a winner.

Veggie stir fry wins, but requires lots of cutting,

Which would be easier without the head butting.

Ryan just want to play with his cars on the floor,

Josh just wants everything from the brother he adores.

Mooooooooooom! I hear and separate the boys,

I take Josh over and give him his own pile of toys.

I set the table, fill the glasses and sigh,

As Ryan announces he won't be eating stir fry.

A click of the lock and Matt's home right at seven,

The boys are elated and are completely in heaven.

We sit down together and everyone eats,

Ryan negotiates eating for dessert treats.

We clean up together and the boys all head to play,

But there will be no break for Mommy today.

In the office I see my inbox of emails is full,

Some from my friends, other projects from school.

I answer each one, but one catches my eye,

A Bahamas vacation package? Oh My!!!

Wouldn't that be nice? Some days on the beach,

Just me and a book, my phone out of reach?

But I snap back just in time to face the wrath,

Of two naked streakers all ready for bath.

Into their jammies and all of their books read,

A snuggle, a prayer and a kiss on their heads.

I put on my pajamas and marvel at the quiet,

After an hour that sounded more like a riot.

We finally make our way downstairs after nine,

Our favorite shows on DVR, so we're fine.

As I pass by the dining room I give a weary look,

To the mess that I am currently calling Josh's scrapbook.

Matt turns to me and asks "How was your day?"

And I think of the many the things I could say.

Do I give him the laundry list that I well should?

I could tell him so much, but I just answer, "Good."

When he asks that question, all I want to do is laugh,

He really doesn't understand that I need a whole staff!

Moms do so much in a day that it's crazy!

It makes his day at the office seem lazy.

I settle on the couch with a nice glass of wine,

We both have our roles and “mommy” is mine,

Tomorrow a new list will wait for a new day,

But tonight I will dream about my little vaca!

Who am I kidding? McSteamy can come too.

No comments: