Thursday, March 13, 2008

Column Favorites (from Charlotte Parent)

Finding Yourself Again

One of the hardest parts about getting older is watching the young woman that you remember being slowly fading away. I know that to look at me, one would never see the girl that I once was; smoking clove cigarettes in old coffee houses, arguing religion, art and literature with friends, writing emotionally complicated poems in my old paisley notebook. Instead, I have become this polished Charlotte woman and I am a mere shadow of that free-spirited girl that I so dearly loved and miss.

I had a chance to catch a glimpse of her again this past weekend. Matt decided to take me on a little romantic vacation and the location was a huge surprise. He would not even give me a hint as we drove and I immersed myself in magazine after magazine, a luxury I can never seem to find time for. When I finally lifted my head, I was delighted to see we were heading towards Asheville.

I have heard nothing but wonderful things about Asheville and as Matt pulled the car into a spot at the Grove Arcade, I could see why. There were artists peddling their beautiful works on the tables outside the shops. Everywhere I looked, there were galleries and coffee shops. I was absolutely in heaven.

While I love Charlotte and promote it constantly to friends who I would love to lure into living here, the newness of the city and lack of culture has been a shock to my system. Where I grew up, the houses were all older and had amazing charm (and didn’t actually cost close to a million dollars like the homes in Dilworth can.) It was hard for us to buy a house that looks like every other in the neighborhood when our hearts were set on a craftsman house.

In Asheville, I not only found a city that I now love, I found a little piece of myself that had long been hidden. Matt and I strolled through antique stores and were inspired by the pieces. We playfully argued about which photograph to purchase in one of the galleries. We held hands and walked along the sidewalk until we had found a print that we both adored.

Matt had made a reservation at the Residences at Biltmore. http://www.residencesatbiltmore.com/home.php Now, I know there are many gorgeous bed and breakfasts in Asheville, but believe me when I tell you that out suite was incredible. There were granite countertops, a gigantic shower, a flat screen tv, robes and slippers and a wonderfully appointed little deck, complete with table and chairs. The woman from the front desk actually walked us to our room and showed us around. I was ready to stay forever.

Matt had reserved a table at the Corner Kitchen, a quaint house turned restaurant. http://www.thecornerkitchen.com The food was amazing. We started with the calamari and crab corn soup, which was hot and spicy and marvelous. We both had the filet, which was one of the best I have ever had. We popped into a coffee house for dessert and coffee. We laughed, we talked and we fell in love all over again.

The next morning, we had a terrific breakfast at a spot called the Early Girl Eatery. http://www.earlygirleatery.com We loved their pumpkin ginger bread, slathered in butter. The eggs and toast were a triumph, mostly because everything they use is local and organic. The mimosas? Don’t get me started. Fresh squeezed orange juice with just the perfect amount of champagne.

We walked the streets, held hands and had a ball. We drove around looking at houses that we would die to own. We marveled at this town, nestled between the mountains and wondered how one place had so much character. We even made a stop at the Grove Park Inn, which was spectacular.

It was the perfect weekend in the perfect town. I felt as though someone had turned a light on inside me which had been off for some time. I cannot begin to tell you how highly I recommend a weekend away to Asheville with your husband. It in not only good to recharge the batteries and let some romance in, but you may be surprised who you find there. You might just find yourself.

No comments: